Open 24/7

365 Days/Year

(541) 746-0112
1821 Pioneer Parkway
Springfield, OR 97477

Get Emergency Care if Your Pet Consumes These Holiday Plants

Brown and white dog in the snow

The holidays are right around the corner, and with them the beautiful decorations and seasonal plants. Unfortunately, some of these plants can be hazardous to the health of your pets. Before the holiday season starts, it’s a great idea to educate yourself on these plants so you can be prepared in case of an emergency


While the crimson hued amaryllis plant looks quite festive, it’s actually dangerous for your pet. Every part of an amaryllis is toxic to your cat or dog, including the stems, leaves, petals, and bulbs. Symptoms of amaryllis poisoning include tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea. Some particularly severe cases may result in death, so if your pet is exhibiting these symptoms, it’s essential to get it to a hospital right away. It is not recommended for pet owners to have amaryllis in their homes. 


Arguably the most popular holiday plant, poinsettias come in a variety of seasonal hues and can adorn front porches everywhere from November to January. Poinsettias do not pose much of a health risk for dogs, but cats are highly sensitive. Felines that ingest or lick part of the plant can experience gastrointestinal distress, skin irritation, and eye itching. Kittens are especially at risk, so keep that in mind if your furry friend is on the younger side.  

Mistletoe and Holly

While mistletoe and holly are common Christmas party staples, they should be kept far away from cats. These plants contain the chemicals phoratoxin viscumen and toxalbumin, both of which are poisonous for cats when ingested. Cats may experience gastrointestinal problems, respiratory failure, sudden drops in blood pressure, or even seizures. It is highly recommended to avoid these plants if you share your space with a cat. 

If your pet has ingested a harmful substance, it’s essential to get them the care they need as fast as possible. At Emergency Veterinary Care in Springfield, OR, our dedicated staff is specifically trained to handle emergency situations. Our facility is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, so we can be there for you and your pet when you need us. For more information on our services, call (541) 746-0112 or send us a message here.